National Panchayati Raj Divas 2018 [Celebration Date, Theme,Quotes And Slogan]
National Panchayat Divas or Panchayat Raj Divas is observed in India every year. The day is also important as it signifies the formation of the 73rd Amendment of the Constitution of the 1992 Act. The new amendment that was introduced in the constitution was bought into act in 1993 on 24th April.Ever since then, the Nation has been celebrating the day as the National Panchayat Raj Divas. As per the sources, the implementation of the 73rd amendment is also considered as a historic moment as under this particular amendment the village and Grams are offered with provisions to organize various Gram or village Panchayats.
The provision has been provided to each and every state within the country due to its importance. As per the statements the Gram Panchayats are organized and special powers are given to them in terms of authorities.
|Name||Panchayat Raj Divas|
|Observed on||24th April – every year|
|Organized by||Union Ministry of Panchayati Raj|
|Celebrated since||24th April 1993|
|Day Celebrated as||Good Governance Day for Panchayats and Samitis|
|First Inaugurated by||Former PM Manmohan Singh|
Every year since 1993, after the implementation of the 73rd Amendment in the constitution, the Nation, its government and people have been celebrating National Panchayati Raj Divas on 24th April. The day is marked as a part for the Good governance for people as well as village Panchayat Samitis and its members.
History – By Whom and When Announced?
The former Prime Minister of the Country Manmohan Singh has announced to inaugurate the 1st National Panchayati Raj Divas in 2010. The Union Ministry of Panchayati Raj observes this day every year. The day was initially announced for being observed on this particular day after the constitution Act of 1992 (73rd Amendment) was officially passed as a Bill in 1992 in the Parliamentary session and both houses. Since that day the Union Ministry and Panchayati Raj Samitis at the village level had announced to officially celebrate this day as Panchayati Raj Divas.
The day is celebrated such that the Gram Panchayats are given with authorities so they can function as a single governing body at the village level as self-government. Ever since then the Union Ministry has been organizing a number of conferences at the Gram Panchayat level. The government and Ministry also awards different Gram Panchayats for their outstanding performance and achievements in various fields.
Special awards are distributed to all Gram Panchayats nationwide for their role played. They are awarded with Rashtriya Gaurav Gram Sabha Puraskar and Panchayat Sashakatikaran Puraskar. The awards are handed over to the deserving Gram Panchayats by the Union Ministry at the national Conference.
Importance of Panchayati Raj
- At the Gram level, The Panchayati Raj is the sole governing body. Under the Panchayati Raj, each village will be having with a Panchayat or more than one Panchayats for governing.
- The Panchayati Raj is a Samiti that is made up of its active members who are responsible for looking after the working of each Panchayat and its members.
- Just like any other elected members, Panchayati Raj will also have members elected for a tenure of Five years. During this period they are expected to serve for the benefit of the village or Gram and its people.
- Under the Panchayati Raj, the members are also expected to organize meetings or sabhas at least once a year. The meetings are held under the supervision of the President and Vice president or Sarpanch and Up-Sarpanch. They hold their Pivotal positions in the Panchayati Raj and are also responsible for coordinating for the normal functioning of each Panchayat within its region.
- The active members of the Panchayati Raj are expected to look into the development of their respective village or Gram. A samiti of members under the Panchayati Raj is also responsible for look into rural area development and coordinate with the state government bodies within their block area.
- The Sarpanch and Up-Sarpanch are the people who are responsible for looking into the resolutions and their implementations within their villages for Good governance.
- The Panchayati Raj has its top most tier as Zila Parishad which is also a body of representatives from the Panchayat Samiti, Parliament and State Legislature.
- The list also includes all district level officials like Engineers, Agriculture, Health, education, development departments, public works, medical etc. the Panchayati Raj coordinates with each of the District level officials via its respective Zila Parishad office within their nodal regions.
The Zila Parshiads are also responsible for setting working budget for each of the Panchayati Raj for the development of the village and Grams.
In present time when most of the government departments and bodies are not able to coordinate directly with the village people for their development, the Panchayati Raj serves as the best coordinating body on their behalf. It bridges the gap between the rural people and government department for implementation of various schemes and developmental projects.
Panchayati Raj Quotes
- The day Panchayati Raj comes into effect, the opinion made by the people will be able to implement changes that otherwise could not have been achieved by Violence – Mahatma Gandhi.
- Panchayati Raj works for the better of the rural people and it helps in transforming Rural India into a better place to live.
- Panchayati Raj is seen as Good Governance at the village level that can help in developing any village – Mahatma Gandhi