Intolerance Essay Types Reason Effects Society Solution Speech Quotes & Slogans
Intolerance has become a hot topic all of a sudden. We hear about it 10 times a day, but what exactly is it? Well, if put in simple words, disallowing something that one person (or a group of persons) doesn’t like is intolerance. It’s often seen among religions, races, and opinions of people. With advancement in means of destruction the risks of intolerance have multiplied. Today the most serious category of threats associated with it are not in terms of growth that it can stiffle – they’re in terms of destruction that it can do to the world.
Types of Intolerance
There’re many types of intolerance in the world. However, the most widespread ones are:
- Religious/Racial Intolerance: When intolerance is shown towards a religious group or its beliefs, it’s known as religious intolerance. Similarly, racial intolerance is one that’s shown towards people of any particular race.
- Ambiguity Intolerance: Some people show intolerance towards ambiguity as they perceive it threatening. This type of intolerance is often seen in workplaces, and while not necessarily bad, it sometimes creates unnecessary problems for everyone.
- Liberal Intolerance: Liberals in our world often claim to give everyone the same opportunity of expressing their views regardless of their social backgrounds. However, when they find the views of conservative people to be different, the same liberals start feeling uncomfortable. This type of intolerance is very common in college campuses.
Reasons of Intolerance in Society
There’re a variety of reasons behind intolerance in our society. The biggest ones are:
- Media and Entertainment Industry: Whatever those celebrities may say, it’s a fact that they’ve a big hand in making our societies intolerant. Violent movies and news reports have become a norm in today’s world, and they leave a major negative impact on our thoughts and thinking processes.
- Political Groups: Religion, race, caste and creed have long been used by political groups as pillars for politics. There’ve been well-documented cases when political groups showed deliberate intolerance towards any particular group of people to boost their vote bank, which is further worsened by the next cause in our list.
- Unsocial Elements: When political groups ignite the fire of intolerance for their benefits, the unsocial elements also take advantage of those events to create some name for themselves. Sometimes they’re also involved in the play by political parties themselves. And whether someone believes it or not, in most cases people belonging to this category do the worst crimes that can be done under intolerance.
- Historical Events of Intolerance: Intolerance is a big problem because it’s a self-sustaining vicious cycle. Once a particular religion, race or group of people are shown intolerance, it stays in their minds and in turn they too become intolerant towards the religion or race that started things first. This intolerance is then passed on to future generations, which keeps it sustained in our societies.
Effects of Intolerance
The effects of intolerance are so far reaching that sometimes they can’t be perceived by a common man:
- Stops the Flow of New Ideas: When people from any particular group of society are barred from voicing their ideas, the ideas can’t flow as quickly as they could, which leads us to the next point.
- Stifles Research and Development: When there’s lack of ideas, there’s lack of innovation and research. Lack of research, as you may expect, stiflesthe growth and development, as intellectual property isn’t private property of any elite religion, race or social group.
- Spreads Disappointment: The people whose voices are suppressed feel disappointed by that, and stifled development may bring even more disappointment among all social groups.
- Divides Societies: Last, but certainly not least, intolerance divides societies. Sometimes it divides them so much that even after having a shared history people belonging to two different religions or races start hating each other as their worst enemies.
Impact On Society :
Pros & Cons
|Intolerance, when shown against wrong things (i.e. laziness, average performance, cocky attitudes), can be constructive too||Stiflesinnovation and development by preventing the the flow of new ideas|
|Sometimes intolerance also helps in limiting stupid speech that could spark even more intolerance and hatred||Leaves hard feelings in the hearts of people who suffer from it|
|Intolerance sets the bar high for administration and powerful personalities – cause one small mistake of words or activities can spark a fire||Divides the society and nation|
|Sometimes when a religious or racial group has to be pulled together, and nothing seems to be working, intolerance can pull them together||When shown towards a religion/race, it leaves unforgettable traces in the pages of history for generations to come|
|Creates unnecessary problems in workplaces|
|Projects a wrong image of the nation/religion in front of world|
|Leads to a lot of bloodshed in many cases|
|Makes it easier for outside forces to exercise their power on the nation|
There’re a variety of solutions that can be applied to prevent intolerance. Some of them are given below:
- Education: This is arguably the best (and first) way to stop the growth of intolerance. Quality education that teaches about tolerance and its importance in societies can help a lot in mitigating intolerance.
- Awareness: Organizations and governments should accept the existence of intolerance in their societies and organize campaigns to spread awareness about it. Public too should accept the fact they’re intolerant and they need to correct their actions and thoughts.
- Review: The results of each effort done to mitigate intolerance should be measured, and the efforts with best results should be repeated. There should be an agency in every state or country to analyze the cases of intolerance and their growth from time to time.
Intolerance in our societies is not something that we can pass on. It’s a problem that needs treatment immediately. We should accept its existence and make necessary efforts to prevent it from growing further because the more it grows, the more difficult it can be to eradicate, and more destruction it can do to the world.
Speech On Intolerance
The worst thing about intolerance is that it not only feeds itself but also grows itself as tolerant societies are often suppressed by intolerant ones. On the other hand, intolerant societies also do nothing except for spreading more intolerance. Therefore, if a change has to be brought, it can only be brought by collective efforts. And the efforts in that direction should start from the top – from governments of all major nations. If governments are willing, they can really bring a change in their societies as they possess all the resources to make it happen.
And that change should be brought quickly, especially among the developed nations, because tolerance is necessary for development. While developed countries provide a high quality lifestyle to majority of their individuals, non-developed or developing countries don’t. Therefore, governments of such countries should aim to tackle the issue of intolerance before their developed counterparts.
In a modern and developed society, there should be only one kind of intolerance – the one that’s shown for intolerance. Any other thing, whether they’re someone’s opinions, religions, races or anything else, shouldn’t be suppressed at all. Only then a nation can start moving rapidly on the track of prosperity.
Fortunately, some big names have taken initiative in this direction. UNESCO has drafted a lot of instruments that prevent not only intolerance but also racism, including “Declaration of Racial Prejudice, 1978.” Global companies have also come ahead by bringing diversity into its staff composition, and various NGOs are also taking interest in the cause. But to speed up the process and spread it widely we’ll also have to change ourselves. We need to learn respecting others’ views, religions and races. Once we do that, we’ll be able to experience a new world in our surroundings, which will be exceptional by all means.
Slogan & Quotes On Intolerance
Intolerance and anger cripple people’s understanding.
Intolerance shown in support of tolerance doesn’t make any sense.
Tolerance is important, but no one should get so tolerant that they pass intolerance.
Intolerance is a form of violence and it creates hurdles in the path of democracy.
The world is too small to fill it with intolerance.
Intolerance is not about the difference of beliefs – it is about how you treat those who’ve those different beliefs.
Snatching the rights that you want for yourself from others is intolerance.
Religious tolerance should be practiced by all; but there’ve been so many cases of intolerance in the name of religion that people don’t bother to care about tolerance when it comes to religion.
Intolerance leads to loss of faith in everything.
To know someone’s true religion we don’t need to look at his faith – we need to look at his intolerance instead.
If you respect other people’s religion, there’s no way you may get into religious intolerance.
One person’s freedom of speech shouldn’t lead to intolerance of others.
Toleration of intolerance doesn’t make anyone liberal.
Little bit of intolerance is in every man – what we should care about is gross intolerance.
- World Development Information Day Essay Speech Quotes
- International Day for Rural Women Essay Speech Quotes
Social Issues :