Chanda Kochhar Biography Family Net Worth
Chanda Kochhar is the current CEO and managing director of ICICI Bank, one of the top banking service providers in India. She has worked over the years to help make ICICI a popular entity around the country and continues to be an influential figure.
|Birth Date||November 17, 1961|
|Birth Place||Jodhpur, Rajasthan|
|College||University of Mumbai|
|Current Status||CEO of ICICI Bank|
|Children||Aarti and Arjun Kochhar|
Initial Life and Education
Chanda Kochhar was born in 1961 in Jodhpur. She attended school at St. Angela Sophia School in Jaipur and then attended school at Jai Hind College. She graduated in 1982 and then studied accounting at the Institute of Cost Accountants of India. She also earned her MMS degree from the University of Mumbai a few years later.
Chanda Kochhar is the daughter of Roopchand Kochhar. She is married to Deepak Kochhar, a mogul in the wind energy sector. The two had attended college together. The couple also has two children, Aarti and Arjun.
Career and Achievements
- Kochhar joined ICICI in 1984 and trained to be a manager. She would work her way up the ladder to become the deputy general manager of the bank.
- In 1996, she became the head of an ICICI group to support the development of the bank’s infrastructure strategy. This was to help with supporting banking needs for those in the telecom and rail industries. She would eventually be named a new general manager and would work with many additional clients. Not long after that, she would start working on the e-commerce segments of business for ICICI to help people with banking needs in the new digital era.
- In 2009, Kochhar became the CEO of ICICI. She continues to hold this prominent position to this day.
- Chanda Kochhar has earned the Wockhardt Gold Medal for Excellence in Management Studies for her work in the field. She also earned the J.N. Bose Gold Medal for Cost Accountancy.
- ICICI has earned many accolades under Kochhar’s rule. The group has won the honor of being the Best Retail Bank in India for four years.
- Kochhar has also been recognized as one of the most influential women in the world, even making Time Magazine’s list of the most influential people in 2015. She also received a similar honor from Business World in 2017.
- Kochhar earned the Padma Bhushan award in 2011. This is the third-highest rated civilian honor given to people in India. She earned this in honor of her work for standing out in the banking sector.
Salary and Net Worth
Kochhar makes a salary of Rs. 2.66 crore every year. Her status is enough to where she is one of the hundred most powerful women in the world according to Forbes Magazine. Details on her specific net worth are unavailable at the moment.
There have been a few noteworthy developments in the life of Chanda Kochhar in recent time:
- There are concerns that Kochhar had made money off of loans that were given to the Videocon Group. This includes Kochhar being influenced to give more than Rs. 3,000 crore in loans to the group. There are concerns that she might have tried to get money off of loans that may now rok as effectively as what Videocon might have hoped it would have gotten into.
- Under Kochhar’s rule, most of the funds that ICICI has earned are coming from its online brokerage. Nearly a quarter of the brokerage arm of ICICI was up for sale as a means of helping the bank to raise funds for added projects.
- She is also promoting efforts within India to improve upon the banking infrastructure within the country. This includes working to find more sources of funding and to get projects for managing money structured.