Neiphiu Rio Biography Caste Assets Net Worth Family
Neiphiu Rio, the former Chief Minister of Nagaland has gained 12 MLA’s support this time to be selected as the Chief Minister of the state again. In last election NDPP and BJP had made joint government in the state and BJP’s 12MLAs have supported Rio to be the CM of Nagaland.
Neiphiu Rio – Bio & Details
|Birth Date||11th November 1950|
|Father’s Name||Late Guolhoulie Rio|
|Spouse||Kaisa Rio (Wife)|
|Children||5 daughters & 1 son|
|School||Baptist English School, Kohima|
|College||Kohima Arts College, Kohima|
|Active Politician in Congress||1989 to 2002|
|Formation of DAN||2002|
|Chief Minister of Nagaland||March 2003 – January 2008
March 2008 – 2013
2013 – 2014
Who is Neiphiu Rio?
The former Chief Minister of Nagaland, Neiphiu Rio was the only CM in North-Eastern region that served the state as CM for three successive terms. He was elected as Chief Minister for the first time in the year 2003. He served the state until 2014 as the honourable CM of Nagaland. Currently he is again nominated for the post of Chief Minister.
Qualification & Work Details
- Schooling: Neiphiu Rio was a student from Baptist English School, located in Kohima. After few years he went to West Bengal to finish his school studies in Sainik School, located in Purulia District.
- College: After his studies in Purulia District, he got admitted to the St. Joseph College (Darjeeling) in North Bengal. However he didn’t finish his studies in Darjeeling and came back to Kohima. In Kohima he finished his studies in Kohima Art College.
- Young politician: Rio was always an important part of politics since his school days. He was an active youth leader both in his school and college. Later on he joined politics permanently at very young age.
- Leadership: In 1974, he was first appointed as the leader of a young political group namely Kohima District Democratic Front. In 1984, he led the Angami Area Council of North as Chairman. He also served Indian Red Cross Society as Vice President for some time.
Birth and Family Details
- Birth: Rio was born and brought up in Kohima District, Nagaland. He is from the tribal community namely Angami Naga. Later on he had led the community as Chairman, as mentioned above. He was an inhabitant of Tuophema Village.
- Family: Neiphiu Rio’s father’s name is Late Guolhoulie Rio. He was also from Tuophema Village in Kohima District. Currently Rio lives with his wife and 6 children. Neiphiu Rio and his wife Kaisa Rio have 5 daughters and 1 son in their family.
- Early political career: Before Rio joins politics permanently, he was appointed as leaders for many organisations (As mentioned above). In the year 1989 he first elected as a candidate in Congress Party. Since then he started his political career.
- Minister: Neiphiu won the election in the same year and was appointed as the State Minister of School Education & Sports, Nagaland. Along with that he was elected as Technical & Higher Education Minister as well. At the same time he was given responsibility of three more organisations namely Development Authority, Khadi & Village Industry’s Board and Industrial Development Corporation of the State of Nagaland.
- 1993: In 1993 election, Rio’s party won again. He was appointed as the State Minister of Works & Housing Department. He served as State Minister for mentioned divisions till 1998 from 1993.
- Home Minister: In the year 1998, Rio appointed as the Home Minister of Nagaland and led the Cabinet Ministry. He, being an integral part of National Congress Party, was taking care of Home Ministry till the year 2002.
- Resignation from Congress: In the year 2002, Rio resigned from Congress party lead by Jamir. According to reports, Rio resigned because of Congress blocked settlement on Naga Issues in the state.
- Naga People’s Party: Rio had resigned from National Congress Party on the basis of Naga Issues. He joined Naga People’s Party after leaving Congress. NPP was associated with other state level regional parties. He formed Democratic Alliance of Nagaland in 2002.
- Chief Minister: In 2003, his party won the election against Congress. His party elected him as Chief Minister in the year 2003. With this phase the rule of Congress in Nagaland has come to an end.
- President’s Rule in Nagaland: In the year 2008, Nagaland state had witnessed President’s Rule. It is a rule imposed by the Central government, in which no state government is formed in a state and is ruled by the Central government. During the first week of the month January in 2008, Rio was dismissed as CM of the state due to imposition of President’s Rule.
- Re-elected as CM: In the same year, 2008 during the month of March DAN was back in rule as it a solo largest party in the state. On invitation by State governor, Rio was re-elected as CM of Nagaland in the year 2008 again.
- Third term CM: In the year 2013, Naga People’s Party won the election and Rio elected as the Chief Minister of the state for the third time in a row. He was the Chief Minister of Nagaland until 2014.
The first controversy was created in the name of Rio when he resigned from Congress in the year 2002. Later on he stated that Naga people don’t have any future with Congress. He started his political career with Congress and after serving for 10 years he came up with this statement.
Second time he again came to controversy when he suddenly decided to fight for National Election in 2014. He, being the Chief Minister of Nagaland is supposed to finish his serving time in 2018. However he took break in the year 2014 to take the Chair in Delhi. According to him his responsibility towards Delhi is more than in Nagaland.
Neiphiu Rio was awarded for starting up the Music Task Force in India. It was said to be the first Music Industry in India. In Kolkata, he received Mother Teresa Award in the year 2007. It was given to him for his splendid contribution to the Indian politics.
Neiphiu Rio Assets & Net Worth
- According to the reports, the Minister owns assets of net Rs. 36 Cr. Among which more than Rs. 10 Cr is recorded as movable assets on his name and more than Rs. 13 Cr is recorded as immovable assets on his name.
- On the other his wife, Kaisa Rio who is involved in Handicrafts’ business has Rs. 5 Cr as movable asset and Rs. 3 Cr as immovable asset as a whole in total. They don’t show up any liability on their names.
As forthcoming Chief Minister
Currently the CM of Nagaland Zeliang along with Rio met State Governor to discuss about the issue that he will again be elected as CM this year.